Girl Effect Nigeria Recruitment 2017 | Application Guide and Requirements.
Girl Effect is an organization working to break the cycle of inter-generational poverty. We do this by investing in programs for girls, connecting girls to each other to amplify their voices, and brokering access to the critical assets girls need. We drive behavior change by harnessing media in innovative ways and building social networks to shift girls perceptions of themselves and how others value them.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: TEGA Research Consultancy – Sexual and Reproductive Health
Department: Gender, Evidence, and Insights
Vacancy Type: Consultancy
- We have an opportunity for a research consultant with experience in conducting participatory research, particularly in relation to sexual reproductive health, to support the delivery of an exciting research project funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Grand Challenges Fund.
- We anticipate the duration to be up to 40 days between August 2017 – December 2018.
- Trained girl researchers (Technology Enabled Girl Ambassadors) in Kano will use our bespoke mobile phone research app, TEGA, an innovative peer-to-peer research methodology to get to the heart of why girls aged 15-19 in Northern Nigeria are not using modern contraception.
- TEGA uses innovative data-collection techniques and mobile technology to teach girls aged 18-24 how to collect meaningful, honest data about their world in real time. The data they collect can be translated and analyzed within 15 minutes of being uploaded. TEGA’s bespoke research qualification equips girls with employable skills for the future, and it provides us and partners with authentic peer-to-peer insights to inform our work.
- After exploring method-related and other barriers as well as the contraceptive needs and preferences of this group, we will work with girls directly to come up with innovative ideas that would support the development of new contraceptive methods and products.
- The research will also explore wider issues related to contraceptives and sexual reproductive health including gender norms, social, cultural and religious factors and availability of services.
Background to the research
- Due to social and gender norms as well as cultural and religious beliefs, girls – particularly when unmarried – are rarely directly involved in research about their sexual and reproductive health. When they are, interview processes, which often involve adult researchers asking intimate questions, are an intimidating and intrusive experience that rarely create a dynamic where girls feel comfortable talking about their sexual and reproductive health.
- As a result, there is little available data on why only 1% of married Nigerian girls aged 15 to 19 are accessing modern contraceptive methods, and no DHS or national data on unmarried girls’ contraceptive use and unmet needs. What data there is, is unlikely to be authentic or specific due to the sensitivities of the issue and intrusive nature of traditional research methodologies.
- Generating primary data on girls’ experiences in relation to family planning is even more challenging in Northern Nigeria as girls often have little decision making power in their households and are unlikely to speak openly about their contraceptive needs or preferences to strangers.
- These will be further defined during contract negotiation and initial planning stages but will include the following:
- Review the existing high-level research plan and make recommendations for adaptations and refinement
- Carry out basic literature review and use to develop stakeholder interview guides, to be conducted by Evidence Manager in Nigeria
- Work with Girl Effect staff, local partner and TEGAs to design interview guides/ surveys to be delivered by TEGAs at each stage of the research project
- Support IRB submission in Nigeria
- Develop project specific training module to be delivered by Girl Effect Nigeria team to TEGAs, with specific content on talking sensitively about modern contraception and sexual reproductive health with adolescents
- Design approach to conducting analysis with a strong gender lens and writing final report, which will be submitted to BMGF in December 2018 and ideally published thereafter
- Offer technical guidance and advice on conducting culturally relevant, respectful research with adolescents on SRH in Northern Nigeria
- The consultancy will operate on a ‘drawdown’ basis with milestones and days used agreed on a quarterly basis, up to a total of 40 days over the project, which ends in December 2018.
- The consultant will have a day-to-day liaison with the Specialist, Evidence (TEGA) who is based in Girl Effect’s London office, with oversight by the Senior Manager, Evidence (TEGA) based at Girl Effect’s London office.
- Consultants should demonstrate the following applied expertise:
- Ability to work with Girl Effect’s Nigeria team and local partner based in Kano to design qualitative research approach and tools, that are culturally sensitive and appropriate for local context
- Understanding of gender-sensitive research principles and the particular needs, challenges and risks of conducting research with adolescent girls
- Track record of delivering consultancy projects on time, on budget and to a high standard
- Experience of participatory research design and implementation within emerging markets, particularly in relation to gender related issues, SRHR, and modern contraception use
- Consultancy delivery to be primarily in English language and Girl Effect has translators available to work on the translation of research tools and data.
To apply, please send a brief proposal including:
- Budget including day rate and travel costs/ expenses
- Cover letter/ short proposal outlining relevant experience, interest in the work and approach
- Relevant example of previous work
How to Apply for Girl Effect Nigeria Recruitment
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications and CV’s to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: 16th August 2017.
If you need us to help you with more updated information at the right about Girl Effect Nigeria Recruitment 2017, kindly provide us your phone number and email Address in the comment box below. Also, feel free to ask any question anytime.
We believe this article was interesting, if yes, don’t hesitate using our share button below to inform – friends and relation via Facebook, twitter or Google+
WARNING! Don’t Attend to Any Call from this WEBSITES Pertaining to any Job or Scholarship Offer Requiring Money.